Newbie questions

strelniece

Dec 7, 2020
Hi,

New to not only proxmox, but WMs as well...

I have an old macbook pro 9.2 I'm running homeassistant on and sucessfully installed proxmox and hass on it.

But...

Since I would like to have a desktop on it, I have run into some problems/things I don't understand...

My first idea was to install debian with proxmox on it, but for whatever reason I can't start the computer from USB anymore, so I can make a fresh install with debian. Any ideas why?

I have now installed a desktop following the how-to and works sort of okay, at least for now since my major use is just to show a webpage, for now.

But, I would prefer to run a more "proper" DE, either debian, or, if it's possible to run ubuntu as a node and log in to the desktop from the laptop? Is that possible?

thanks

My first idea was to install debian with proxmox on it, but for whatever reason I can't start the computer from USB anymore, so I can make a fresh install with debian. Any ideas why?
Does the boot options menu appear when you hold down the alt key while booting (as soon as the grey screen appears)? Are you using the laptop's keyboard to do this?
But, I would prefer to run a more "proper" DE
Generally by installing a DE, as long as you install the full version, you will get the "proper" thing, i.e., all the packages that a regular desktop environment contains will be installed.

if it's possible to run ubuntu as a node and log in to the desktop from the laptop?
By as a node, do you mean as a VM? If so, this could work, but the problem is that it won't have access to your host system, which is probably what you would prefer to have a DE on.

Does the boot options menu appear when you hold down the alt key while booting (as soon as the grey screen appears)? Are you using the laptop's keyboard to do this?

Generally by installing a DE, as long as you install the full version, you will get the "proper" thing, i.e., all the packages that a regular desktop environment contains will be installed.

By as a node, do you mean as a VM? If so, this could work, but the problem is that it won't have access to your host system, which is probably what you would prefer to have a DE on.
That was easy... it's a mac and untill I installed proxmox one was to hold down the options key... well well, at least it works now, with the laptop's keyboard.

I guess I will install debian and then proxmox. If nothing else I hope the mousepad will work properly then :)

And then I will have no need to run Ubuntu from the computer, so that will void that question as well...

And if it turns out I can install raspbian to emulate a raspberry pi, my day will be complete :)

thanks for the help

Best of luck! And FYI, I have Debian 10 running smoothly on the same laptop at home, so it should be okay ;)

Reactions: strelniece

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!