Newbie questions about configuration

Topoldo

Aug 31, 2018
Hi all.
I'm playing aroind with Proxmox in order to acheive the corect configuration for my data center.
I have 2 servers (HP 560DL with 256GB RAM and 2 300GB internal disks each) with FC interfaces, both connected directly, via HBA, to a SAN with 2 HPE MSA2040 controllers and an array of disks used as shared storage.
I would like to create a cluster with these 2 servers and for reaching the "quorum" I thought to include in the cluster another "little" server I own, ie an HP DL120 G7 with 6GB of RAM and 3 internal disks which has no direct conection with MSA2040 storage nor any HBA.

My questions are:
a) Can I create this kind of cluster even with the "little" server?
b) if so, after the cluster has beeen created, can the DL120 "see" the shared storage connected directly and shared from the two big servers?
c) On each HP560DL I have 4 net cards which I thought to use this way:
- 2 NICs for bonding to the world
- 1 NIC for creating a cluster network
- 1 NIC for creating a migration network
Unfortunately DL120 has only 2 NICs

In the above conditions, if I decide to use the "little server2 do have I to renounce to set the 4 NICs of the big servers the way I have thought?
So, does anyone has an idea if it is possible to implement someway a cluster with quorum using the "little"server or do have I to renounce and base my cluster only on the two big serverds?
TIA!
Topoldo

a) Can I create this kind of cluster even with the "little" server?
Yes
b) if so, after the cluster has beeen created, can the DL120 "see" the shared storage connected directly and shared from the two big servers?
The "little" server sees the shared storage to which it can have access via IP
c) On each HP560DL I have 4 net cards which I thought to use this way:
One you have to use for cluster, the other probably "to world", migration will be not a subject if the server is for quorum only.
In the above conditions, if I decide to use the "little server2 do have I to renounce to set the 4 NICs of the big servers the way I have thought?
No
So, does anyone has an idea if it is possible to implement someway a cluster with quorum using the "little"server or do have I to renounce and base my cluster only on the two big serverds?
To have the "little" server for quorum is in any case much better than to have a cluster with 2 servers only.

Btw.: What you call "little" server is more than sufficient for a quorum node.

Many thanks for your answer.

Below an excerpt of your answer I would like to have a confirmation about

Topoldo said:
On each HP560DL I have 4 net cards which I thought to use this way:

[QUOTE="Richard]
One you have to use for cluster, the other probably "to world", migration will be not a subject if the server is for quorum only.
[/QUOTE]

In the meantime I installed proxmox on the "little server" and now I'm ready to add it to the cluster I have already created for the two "big" servers.
While I was waiting for the answer you gave me, I was thinking about a possible solution of my problem concerning the reduced number of physical NICs on the "little" server". So, I was wondering if it could be correct to set this configuration:
a) Two big server with 4 NICS:
- 2 NICs for the bond to the world
- 1 NIC for the cluster network
- 1 NIC for the migration network
b) The little server with only 2 NICs:
- 1 NIC for the the world
- 1 NIC mapping 2 different IPs (one for the cluster network, the other for guest migration using two different nets, for example 192.168.x.y and 10.w.z.k).
Or do you still think that it is not useful to have a "dedicate" network migration for the and it is better to create only the network for the cluster, instead. In this last case, can I create the network for migraton of the guests including *only* the two big servers as it seems suggested by your post?

TIA
Topoldo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!