newbie question: cannot ping the Proxmox server after the fresh installation

euler001

Jan 21, 2020
Hi,

I am a 100% newbie with Proxmox. I was asked to install the Proxmox in a lab server. I ran through the installation based on the pve-admin-guide. At the end of the installation, the system said the installation was successful and ask for a reboot. I took out the installation USB and reboot the server. I did not touch anything and finally, the server just booted into a strange prompt "(L". I am suspecting the server did not successfully boot up. And I pinged the configured IP 172.20.143.138. The ping failed. below are some basic network configuration.
management interface: enp1s0f0
IP: 172.20.143.138
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 172.20.143.2
DNS: 192.168.110.12

My PC is on the same subnet 172.20.143.0/24. I am able to ping the gateway 172.20.143.2 and any other online device in this subnet. The DNS is the same as my PC's.

As a 100% newbie, I do not know what I should do at this moment. Could anyone give me some detailed guidance of how to do the troubleshooting?

thank you in advance!

I did not touch anything and finally, the server just booted into a strange prompt "(L". I am suspecting the server did not successfully boot up.

The prompt of a successful boot should rather look something like this: Screenshot_2020-01-22 nina - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png
As a 100% newbie, I do not know what I should do at this moment. Could anyone give me some detailed guidance of how to do the troubleshooting?
Currently I'd suspect that either something went wrong on the installation or the wrong disks are booted, and the PVE installations just does not boots up at all - thus no reaction to pinging it.

Do you have multiple disks in that server? Maybe with an old installation of another OS or bootloader which may boot into that prompt?

Do you initially see a bootloader with a menu saying something about booting Proxmox VE?

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your response. Following your reply, I did some modification on the Bios to let the server booting from the hd0. Now the server boot into "grub rescue>", as shown below. it is better than before but still has errors. So I still need help.

1579711006921.png

there is a hardware raid controller on the server, we installed 8 hard drives on the server for lab purpose. each drive accounts for 2T size. We set up raid 50 for these 8 disks.

once again thanks,

Last edited:
Are you sure this is now the correct drive you selected in BIOS. I'd rather guess that it's an reused drive which had GRUB installed on it in the past too. Can you please try out every disk installed in the system by telling the BIOS to boot from each?

Hi Thomas,

There is only one virtual hard drive under BIOS. There is no way for me to try every hard disk. I tried to repair the Grub with commands like below (just a demo, not exactly the same disc name as mine) but the command "grub rescue > insmod normal" could not pass through and gave an error message like "attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'". Thus, I could not repair the grub.
grub rescue > ls
(hd0) (hd0, msdos9)
grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos9)/
grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos8)/
grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos5)/
grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos5)/
grub rescue > set root=(hd0,msdos5)
grub rescue > set prefix=(hd0,msdos5)/boot/grub
grub rescue > insmod normal
grub rescue > normal

I ended up re-installed proxmox in a much smaller volume and after installation, the system booted up and I was able to log into Proxmox GUI. set up raid 50 on 8 hard drives, each of them accounts for 2T size. After RAID configuration, the totally available volume is more than 11T. I previously installed proxmox on the whole 11T hdsize with 160G swapsize, 2000G maxroot, 20G minfree, and so on. on this configuration, I could not boot proxmox up.

Now I installed proxmox on a 1.86T hdsize with 80G swapsize, 400G maxroot, 20G minfree, and 1362G maxvz. And proxmox booted up.

Now I am wondering how I can enroll all the rest LVM size (around 11T-1.86T) into the proxmox system, with fdisk command? Please give me some guidance.

many thanks

This is an example:

Code:
lvcreate -l 100%FREE --thinpool pve vg0

Then go to GUI -> Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> LVM-Thin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!