Newbie question about backing up physical server

kristian.kirilov

Nov 17, 2016
Hello guys,
I'm trying to replace my backup solution with Proxmox backup client, it seems that I will be able to achieve good automation by deploying and configuring the client on all VM's, containers and hosts. Back up or restore a Container or VM seems to be straight forward task, but what about physical hosts?

For example, although I read the administration book for Proxmox Backup Server, I'm unable to answer to myself - how the restoration of physical server goes?
As far as I remember, the client only backing up the content of the disks, there is noting about raw backup, which means if one of my servers fail, I should install Proxmox from ISO, then connect to the Backup server and do the restoration, right?

I'm a bit concerned about the disk layout, partition tables and so on.
Please give me an advice.
Thanks.

Backing up the host is on the PBS todo-list.
Meanwhile you could use the PBS client to backup the /etc/pve folder where all the hosts configs are stored. And if you want a full blocklevel backup of your hosts boot/root disk you could make a bootable clonezilla usb stick and boit from that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!