[SOLVED] newbie Q mail retention

ukro

May 16, 2021
Greetings,
I'm planing to put PMG to one of two proxmox servers, but i would like to ask.
If one proxmox server with email server is offline, does the second one proxmox server with PGM hold the delivered emails and when first proxmox server comes online it will download from PGM?

-Thank you.

Last edited:
As long as your PMG is online when one of your proxmox servers is down, it will retain and deliver all the incoming mails until your backend email servers is up.

As long as your PMG is online when one of your proxmox servers is down, it will retain and deliver all the incoming mails until your backend email servers is up.
Omg thank you! This should be a mentioned feature!

This should be a mentioned feature!
we'll consider it - but actually this is just how SMTP works - most/all servers queue mail and retry delivery for a rather long while (default in PMG is 5 days) - so it's more a "feature" of e-mail :)

Reactions: ukro
we'll consider it - but actually this is just how SMTP works - most/all servers queue mail and retry delivery for a rather long while (default in PMG is 5 days) - so it's more a "feature" of e-mail :)
:D i have some limited understanding about proxies and how they operate, as i have experience only with regular mail server. From the word proxy it should mean that only relay not store and then send. But it is awesome that it can do it. Looking forward for this weekend to install it. PMG FTW!

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!