Newbie Problems changing Windows 10 VM from Seabios to UEFI

Jay Hova

Oct 20, 2020
Houston, Texas
www.softunderbelly.com
A buddy of mine helped me construct a box with Proxmox to serve a few functions:
  • NAS
  • Windows Domain Server
  • Windows 10 client
The purpose was to have an environment where windows software could be run, processing large video without the need to pull those files across the network. On the whole, this was fairly successful. However, it became clear that I would need hardware acceleration via an Nvidia card on the Windows VM. This requires passthrough and UEFI bios. witching to UEFI causes the VM to fail.

BdsDxe failed.pngUEFI Shell.png

Unfortunately, I am at best a windows guy and I did not put this together other than the hardware. I can get into the BIOS/UEFI setup and the dives are listed and the web GUI shows the Harddrive and DVDrom. I don't have much of a clue how to get the VM to the point where I could even reload the OS. With zer0 competence in Linux I'm pretty lost here.

Hi Jay,

you can't just "Switch" from Seabios to UEFI by just changing the options for the VM.
Even after adding an EFI Partition to your VM, it'll not boot, since the bootloader and the OS is configured for BIOS.

Can you tell me which operating System the VM is using and which Version is Proxmox VE?
Maybe there is a way to "convert" your existing setup, although the general recommandation is to reinstall.

I'm guessing your plan is to PCIe forward a nvidia GPU into the VM?

I'd be happy to try to help with some more information.

Sure, Super. As I said I have 3 basic functions my server performs; NAS (a currently 3 drive array or 16TB drives), Windows domain using Samba, and a Windows 10 client for running video editing software. I'm running Proxmox Virtual Environment 6.2-12. Right after I posted the prior post my buddy SSHed in and created a new VM and installed WIn10 on it. Unfortunately, he was unable to get it to function as expected (with my 1080ti in passthrough) so I'm in the same boat.

Hardware:
X399D8A-2T MB with Threadripper 2970WX
64GB Ram
512 Samsun 970 m.2 drive
2 LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i 8-port 12Gb/s SATA+SAS with 3 Seagate IronWolf 16TB NASHard Drives
ZOTAC ZT-P10810G-10P GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini 11GB Graphics Card

Not sure how to paste my configuration info here but I'll be happy to once I have a clue. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!