Newbie Network Setup with Bond and Bridge

davevoip

Oct 12, 2018
Hi All,
I've managed to get my first proxmox installation running however, I am noticing connection issues when trying to reach a vm for the first time. The initial connection to e.g. a web server, times out, but 2nd attempt connects with no issues. Proxmox is on the latest v5.4-1 running kernel 4.15.18-11-pve. I am thinking I have a misconfiguration in my network setup but at this stage making changes at this level might cause me more headache by locking me out of the server.

my setup is as follows:
Data Centre - Single Server. 2 NICs connected to DC switch using LACP802.3 as failover mechanism. I have 5 IPs from the DC. Proxmox is the host OS. PFsense is installed as a VM which in turn manages other vms.
I've attached a screen shot of the network config. I have the the 1st IP of my range being assigned to proxmox set in bond0 and also in vmbr0. I am thinking this might be incorrect?? I don't have any of the other IPs configured in proxmox except in the firewall, "allow all in/out on these other 4 IPs".

I initially thought that I could let pfsense manage firewall but as Proxmox is public facing I needed to enable the firewall on it also, but only for it's own IP.

thanks in advance for any help.
Dave

Attachments

• proxmox.JPG
    proxmox.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 39

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!