New with Proxmox

quetzalin

Jul 23, 2019
Hello!,

I'm completly new with Proxmox... recently i was left at work with an small Proxmox server where we have a few virtual machines.

Nowdays i'm trying to understand it... and trying to free space since we are running out of it.

I just found this configuration which i think is a bit messy and reduntant? (maybe it is the cause we are running out of space??).

I'm trying to figure how to fix it:

cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
Code:
lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

dir: pve
    path /var/lib/vz
    content images,backup,iso,vztmpl
    maxfiles 0
    shared 0

dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content images,iso,rootdir,vztmpl
    maxfiles 0

If i just edit the config file and change to which i think is correct, nothing should break right?, after that i should move the disks from 'pve' to 'local'??

Code:
lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,backup

Also, should i stop all the VMs before i do anything?

Thanks for the help!

Hello,
If you start with Proxmox I strongly recommend using the GUI. I suppose that no one here will confirm that the above changes will not break anything.
If you want to move VM's harddrive forom one storage to another you should use Move button in hardware section of your virtual machine.

Reactions: Dominic
If you start with Proxmox I strongly recommend using the GUI.
This is good advice.
I suppose that no one here will confirm that the above changes will not break anything.
Correct. Especially as it will break.

I just found this configuration which i think is a bit messy and reduntant?
In some way, yes.
(maybe it is the cause we are running out of space??).
Rather not. Having defined two storages on the same folder, you will see the same contents. Try creating a virtual machine on either pve or local. It will be visible in the Content view of both storages.
UPDATE: Such aliases can lead to problems with locks and are therefore even dangerous.

nothing should break right?
No. For example, you will not be able to start any virtual machine with a disk on pve.
after that i should move the disks from 'pve' to 'local'??
You should do this before. Doing this afterwards will not be possible as your source storage pve will not be available anymore.

Now comes the most important part of this post:
I'm completly new with Proxmox...
I strongly recommend building a (virtual) test environment. You will be able to answer a lot of questions yourself.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!