New VM has communications error

Drax

Jul 21, 2012
I created a new VM following the steps in create VM. However once started the VM produces a communications error. How do I fix this? Is this because there isn't a specific IP bound to that VM? How do I get the VM accessible from the outside?

can post the log output or screenshot of the error ?

The error has seemed to go away once I restarted the VM. But I can't reach it from the outside. How do I bind an IP to the VM?

you do not bind the IP to VM.
if you had properly configure VM, i.e. it has all proper hardware etc..
and you properly connected the VM nic to the Host bridge.
than as soon as you install OS in the VM it should get an IP from your DHCP.
DHCP is a default setting unless changed during OS install.

go to VM console (via proxmox WebUI ) , login to OS and run > ip add show
this should display all the network address assigned to VM.

I need it to have a specific IP, not some random one assigned by DHCP.

Then assign it :-D
A (KVM)-VM is a virtual computer, so you set the IP the same way as you do on a physical computer. Inside the operating system in the way the vendor want's you to.

and that is all nice a fine, but you need to do this from inside the VM. did you expect the HOST(Proxmox) to do this for you?

as LnxBil said, VM is basically a PC. an emulation, yes, but still it is just like a real PC.
you setup and configure it in the same way. .
so if you need VM to have a specific IP you need to set it up.

you can do this in several ways.

#1. set it all up during OS install.
most OS allows you to configure networking during install stage.
#2. set it up after OS install.
this is a most common scenario. you setup OS, let it use DHCP during install.
than once up and running you go to config and change it as needed.

#3. use your router/DHCP server to reserve an address specifically for your PC or VM
this way you do not to have to mess with configs of machine it self but only need to know the NIC MAC address whih you use to reserve an IP on the router/DHCP server you have. you can even do this before you even turn the machine on.
any real hardware PC have stickers providing you with NIC MAC, and VM you can provide your own MAC o just read own from VM config file after it is created

pick your poison man :)

PS>> still a config info would be helpful with figuring out what went wrong...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!