New to Proxmox: Need Help Adding and Using a 2TB USB Drive for VMs and Data Sharing

adrimax11

Sep 12, 2023
Description:I'm new to Proxmox and eager to delve into the homelab world. Previously, I used a 2TB USB drive on Windows 10 to store movies and play them through Jellyfin. Now, I've set up the services I want on Proxmox but need guidance on how to integrate this 2TB USB drive into my Proxmox environment without data loss.

Problem Details:

• This is my first time using Proxmox, and I'm excited to create a homelab setup.
  • I have a 2TB USB drive with approximately 1TB of existing multimedia files that I don't want to lose.
  • My goal is to add this USB drive to Proxmox and use it as an additional storage resource for my virtual machines (VMs).
  • Specifically, I plan to create a Proxmox LXC container running Jellyfin and another one for qBittorrent. The idea is to enable data sharing between these containers and have any content downloaded by qBittorrent be accessible for playback in the Jellyfin container.
  • I'm looking for step-by-step instructions on how to safely integrate this USB drive into my Proxmox setup and ensure that the existing data isn't erased.
  • I also need guidance on how to format and mount the USB drive so that my Proxmox environment can utilize it.
Additional Information:

• Host OS: Proxmox 8.0.4
  • Previous Setup: I used this USB drive on Windows 10 for storing multimedia files and streaming them via Jellyfin.
  • Current Services: I've already set up the services I want in Proxmox, including the LXC containers for Jellyfin and qBittorrent.
  • Filesystem Type on USB Drive: exFat
I greatly appreciate any assistance and insights from the Proxmox community on how to seamlessly integrate this USB drive into my new homelab setup while preserving the existing data. Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!