New to Proxmox, and need some advice.

Chuckle123

Jul 2, 2022
I am new to Proxmox. I have set it up on a laptop and created a few VMs on the same HD. I have just been testing out the basics. I have a question that I need a bit of help with, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback I can get.

My current setup
- Desktop which I use for gaming and work.
- I run my work environments in VMs using VMWare Workstation Pro.

I would like to change over to Proxmox, but to use a single machine I would need to dedicate my desktop to Proxmox. I have no issue switching to Debian with Cinnamon installed after the fact. Outside of gaming, most of my daily stuff can easily be accomplished in Linux.

Questions
- Running W10/11 as a VM will I get the same FPS using GPU passthrough? (An artivle I read said it's very close to using the GPU with regular W10/11 install.)
- Will I get the best remote experience using Spice? (Spice appears to be recommended due to it's features.)
- VMWare has shared folders to easily share folders between VMs. What's the best way to mimic this in Proxmox? (A couple of articles recommended standard network shares.)
- Is this an acceptable setup, or is it advised to just just keep my desktop for gaming and get a mini pc for Proxmox and work VMs?

Thanks,
ce

Last edited:
Hi,

In one answer, if you've a good level comprehension of Linux OS, you can install proxmox from scratch and found many tutorial for each step you need for each fonctionnality.
If not, stay on Win OS for your gaming computer, and continue to use VM for Linux task.

For gpu_passthrough, you need to enderstand really goodly storage, memory usage and cpu threads for get a compliant windows VM gpu_passthrough

Questions
- Running W10/11 as a VM will I get the same FPS using GPU passthrough? (An artivle I read said it's very close to using the GPU with regular W10/11 install.)
Don't forget to set your CPU type from "kvm64" to "host" so the VM can make use of all your CPUs features. Otherwise the CPU will be way slower and this of cause also will effect the FPS of games.
- Will I get the best remote experience using Spice? (Spice appears to be recommended due to it's features.)
Spice is fine but in my opinion parsec is way better for remote gaming or media consumption.
- VMWare has shared folders to easily share folders between VMs. What's the best way to mimic this in Proxmox? (A couple of articles recommended standard network shares.)
NFS or SMB shares for VMs. For LXCs you can also use bind-mounts but NFS/SMB shares are only indirectly possible with unprivileged LXCs.
- Is this an acceptable setup, or is it advised to just just keep my desktop for gaming and get a mini pc for Proxmox and work VMs?
I would get a dedicated server. In my opinion a homeserver should run 24/7 and a desktop PC is neigther durable build for 24/7 usage nor will it be energy efficient that you want to run it continuosly. Another benefit would be that your desktop PC will become faster...not directly...but think of it like offloading tasks from your desktop PC to your homeserver. Every service that runs inside a guest of your homeserver is a service that you don't need to run on your desktop PC, so it got less to do and has more ressources left for other stuff.

Last edited:
Don't forget to set your CPU type from "kvm64" to "host" so the VM can make use of all your CPUs features. Otherwise the CPU will be way slower and this of cause also will effect the FPS of games.

Spice is fine but in my opinion parsec is way better for remote gaming or media consumption.

NFS or SMB shares or VMs. For LXCs you can also use bind-mounts but NFS/SMB shares are only indirectly possible with unprivileged LXCs.

I would get a dedicated server. In my opinion a homeserver should run 24/7 and a desktop PC is neigther durable build for 24/7 usage nor will it be energy efficient that you want to run it continuosly. Another benefit would be that your desktop PC will become faster...not directly...but think of it like offloading tasks from your desktop PC to your homeserver. Every service that runs inside a guest of your homeserver is a service that you don't need to run on your desktop PC, so it got less to do and has more ressources left for other stuff.
Thank you Sir, adding your comments to my notes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!