New to Prox mox

yammers

Jan 14, 2021
Hi there i have recently installed proxmox and trying to figure out what to do with it, my first plan is to use i to vitualise Plex and nas software in order to create my onw HTPC/Nas, however i am not sure of the best apporach.

A plex on its on vm then freenas or OMV on its own
or plex installed as part of OMV or free nas
What would be the best setup option

I would separate them so each service got its own VM. If you create other services with other VMs later they might also need access to shared folders and because of that need access to a NAS. If something happens that crashes your Plex VM atleast your NAS VM is still running so it can by used by all the other VMs.
Just keep in mind that you need to PCI passthough a GPU to your Plex VM if you want hardware accelerated encoding and in that case the GPU can't be used anymore by your host or any other VMs. So if you want to run other services that need a GPU you might want to run them on the same Plex VM too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!