New server build, NFS vs local-storage??

oedzesg

Jan 17, 2022
Hallo all,

At this moment im building a new TrueNAS server.
I was running TrueNAS in a PROXMOX vm for a time but i want to make some extra space in PROXMOX.

My MOBO for new TrueNAS server (Gigabyte C246M WU4) supports 2nvme slots.
Im have a unused PCIEx16 gen3 on the TrueNAS server as on the PROXMOX server asswell. (for possible installation of a 10gbe)
Although I know the benefits of NFS share i don't know how much perfomance / speed I have to give up vs local storage.

Because im running a VM inside of PROXMOX for NZB downloads, PLEX, NextCloud, etc, i dont want to lose much performance in terms of nzb-unpacking, read en writing time.

I hope someone can help me out with my dessision to go for fast NVME NFS share or keep the storage local?
even though I currently only have 1 server in my cluster, i love the idea to keep the storage and installation-disk for the vm's safely in one place.
But dont want to lose much read and writing speed.

Thnx in advance!!!

NFS will always add alot of overhead and latency. So in case you are only running one PVE node and don't need a shared storage I would use local storage for way better performance. If you want your VMs to be safe, setup a proxmox backup server inside a VM on your TrueNAS server.

Reactions: oedzesg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!