[SOLVED] New rpool is not bootable

damian418

Jun 9, 2023
Greetings - I replaced my two sas hard drives that were in a zfs mirror with two new ssds. Everything went fine with the zpool replace and resilvering. Below is the zpool status and list.

BUT.... it is not bootable. I have to put one of the old drives back in during boot to get it to move on to GRUB and actually boot.

How do I make the new rpool bootable?

Code:
root@pve:~# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 15.9M in 00:00:01 with 0 errors on Thu Jun 22 21:37:34 2023
config:

NAME                                              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool                                             ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-PNY_CS900_250GB_SSD_PNY22442211010101EE6  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-PNY_CS900_250GB_SSD_PNY22442211010101EE7  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Code:
root@pve:~# zpool list
NAME             SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool            232G  30.0G   202G        -         -     2%    12%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

Last edited:
If you only did a simple "zpool replace" you now ended up without any boot partitions. Correct way would have been to clone the partition tables and syncing the bootloaders first and then doing a "zpool replace" with only the partition 3 partition of that cloned disk. See "Changing a failed bootable device" and not "Changing a failed device": https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_zfs_administration

Last edited:
If you only did a simple "zpool replace" you know ended up without any boot partitions. Correct way would have been to clone the partition tables and syncing the bootloaders first and then doing a "zpool replace" with only the partition 3 partition of that cloned disk. See "Changing a failed bootable device" and not "Changing a failed device": https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_zfs_administration
Awesome. Thank you very much. I followed this process and I am up and running with a bootable set of ssds!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!