New pve-kernels; regeneration of initrds.

iti-asi

Jul 14, 2009
València
www.iti.upv.es
Hello,

Recent upgrades of the PVE kernels have failed on us because they suddenly don't regenerate the initramfs during the postinstall and instead they just carry the initrd inside the .deb package. Generating the initrd after the install is what Ubuntu and Debian kernels traditionally do, so I'm wondering what motivated the change of behaviour in the Proxmox kernels.

This is a problem on some setups, because if for some reason you need a special option in the initrd in order to get a booting system, currently you will have to regenerate your kernel's initrd everytime there's a pve-kernel update, using something like:
Code:
update-initramfs -t -u -k 2.6.24-8-pve

Currently, if you need additional modules in your initrd and you fail to remember to update your initrd after any PVE, you will most probably get a kernel panic and an unbootable system.

If the change to the "normal" behaviour is accepted by the PVE team, I can provide a patch to restore it, as I have experience with Debian packaging (I'm a Debian developer).

Many thanks in advance!

If the change to the "normal" behaviour is accepted by the PVE team, I can provide a patch to restore it, as I have experience with Debian packaging (I'm a Debian developer).

We use exaclty the same kernel on the installation CD. So as long as we can do that I am ok with that change. But we have absolutely no resources to work on that now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!