New Pruning? Commands to prune host...

sirebral

Feb 12, 2022
Oregon, USA
Hello,

I was backing up my hosts on a regular-basis, and it seems the backup/pruning system has recently changed. I want to be sure I'm following the updated protocol. Likewise, I believe it's just a matter of refining my shell script.

Here's what I used to use (note, some of my variables defined system-wide and are not included in the command)

------

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ --backup-type=host --include-dev /hybrid

------

Note, hybrid is a mostly used as a 165 TB media store, yet also keep my personal documents there as well, and I need to be sure I'm backing those up. I'm using the .pxexclude file to avoid backing up the majority of the files, only retaining documents and photos.

As of the latest update, the pruning no longer seems to be present in the GUI of the backup software. Therefore, I believe I need to add this to the script. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how to go about this as far as context. My previous retention followed the grandfather, father, son methodology.

Any help would be appreciated as I want to retain the same functionality as before the prune functionality was removed from the PBS web interface.

Thanks!

Keith

It wasn't removed. It was just changed to support the new namespaces. You find it in the PBS webUI at "Datastore -> Prune Jobs" or at "Datastore -> YourDatastore -> Prune & GC".

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!