New Proxmox server rack

selfhost_is_king

Feb 8, 2024
Upon discovering the shocking news of VMware's shift to a subscription-based model and the removal of free ESXi, I took immediate action to migrate my Windows VM server and free PBX server to a raw format suitable for use with Proxmox. The journey was not easy, it was a tumultuous rollercoaster of emotions and challenges. The transition demanded all of my patience and resilience as I grappled with the complexities of moving VMs to new EX-enterprise-class servers. Despite the hurdles, I persevered.

As I embarked on this arduous process, I found myself scouring the depths of the internet in search of affordable server racks for my home lab. Platform after platform, from eBay to Facebook Marketplace, Amazon to Gumtree, I scoured for the perfect solution. Yet, to my dismay, the prices presented to me were exorbitant and out of reach. Dose any one know of where to find these Second hand server racks, Thank you for your assistance.

this isn't blogger... just ask your question succinctly.

you want cheap rack servers? or just the racks? what country are you in?

I'm using a hifi rack cabinet on rolls from a thriftstore. Doesn't allow me to screw in my servers/switches but at least Hifi equipment is also 19" so the various cabinet compartments will fit all the 4U servers well and I don't have to unstack the servers any longer each time I need to replace something. Not ideal but at least with only 17,50€ it was cheaper and less work than building a "Lack Rack" ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: selfhost_is_king
I'm using a hifi rack cabinet on rolls from a thriftstore. Doesn't allow me to screw in my servers/switches but at least Hifi equipment is also 19" so the various cabinet compartments will fit all the 4U servers well and I don't have to unstack the servers any longer each time I need to replace something. Not ideal but at least with only 17,50€ it was cheaper and less work than building a "Lack Rack" ;)
Nice job I think i seen some one do this also on youtube thank you.

I am asking this question with a heavy heart and a sense of urgency as my OCD has gone in to overdrive , as I have a sacred duty to my beloved rack-mountable servers that must be organized and stored in a rack. The passion with which I speak stems from a place of deep care and concern for these servers, who trust me to protect them and keep them safe.

It pains me to see that my innocent inquiry has caused such a stir, as all I wished to do was express my thoughts in a different light. The fact that a simple question could provoke such strong reactions bewilders me, and I implore those who are so affected to take a step back and consider the intent behind my words.

Let us not be consumed by negativity and anger, but instead let us celebrate the beauty of communication and the power of sharing knowledge and ideas. I am eternally grateful to the Proxmox forum for providing a platform where we can come together, learn from each other, and grow as a community. Let us appreciate each other, and approach our interactions with kindness and understanding.

For new, I like Supermicro with their embedded (Atom/Xeon-D) motherboards. Can optionally get 10GbE and SAS controller. ASRock Rack also have embedded CPU motherboards.

For used, can't beat used 13th-gen Dells. For an even cheaper option (not recommended), 12th-gen Dells. Comes in either 1U or 2U form factors. I personally like the R730xd/R720xd, since you can mirror the rear drives for the OS and leave the front drives for VMs/data.

As I embarked on this arduous process, I found myself scouring the depths of the internet in search of affordable server racks for my home lab. Platform after platform, from eBay to Facebook Marketplace, Amazon to Gumtree, I scoured for the perfect solution. Yet, to my dismay, the prices presented to me were exorbitant and out of reach. Dose any one know of where to find these Second hand server racks, Thank you for your assistance.
you're asking the wrong question. form factor is a consideration, but only one.

1. where will this machine reside? is it sensitive to noise/heat?
2. You described a workload of 2 virtual machines- a "windows VM Server" and "free PBX server." Do these have any requirements, hardware/quantity wise?
3. how much storage and what type do you require? do you intend to reuse your existing? if so, what type/count?
4. Do you have limits on power budget?
5. What will you be doing for backup?

there are more, but that should give you a start.

Reactions: selfhost_is_king

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!