New Proxmox HA Array Design Assistance

B3Technology

Feb 18, 2020
Hello all.

This is my first post to this site and am hoping for some design assistance.

I am deploying my first HA Proxmox Array for a customer and I wanted to make sure that I am following "best practices". We are setting up 3 new HP servers and my customers primary concern is if any of the servers dies, for whatever reason, all active guests will migrate to one of the other servers without intervention from a user.

Here is what my design looks like. We are using HP servers, 10G switches and a Synology RAID box.

1582041058191.png

Any thoughts would be grateful.

Brian

PS. I am sure I will need some configuration advice as well on how to best setup the Synology RAID system (i.e. iSCSI, Cluster Aware, etc.)

Hi,

HA on the Virtualization level is the last protection against service interruptions.
So your setup must be designed redundant.
Because what can HA on the Virtualization level do if the single Storage fails?
So an HA environment should be a single point of failure-free set up to provide real working HA.

Wolfgang,

Thank you so much for you insights. Could you please elaborate on your suggestion? What would you recommend as the best way to protect the storage system in the design I provided?

Brian

Synology NAS' support HA and will replicate the data between two of them. BUT I do not know how well that would work for a VM storage use case and how well Proxmox VE will handle a failover to the second NAS.

The most integrated solution would be to set it up as a hyperconverged CEPH cluster [0] where you have the Storage clustered among your servers. This will probably require a bit more powerful servers to handle the clustered Ceph storage additionally to the guests but works well and is very fault-tolerant regarding a server failing. It is also quite easy to scale it up by adding more nodes.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pveceph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!