[SOLVED] New Proxmox 7 Install - Ubuntu 20.04 PCI Passthrough - Black Screen

impulse0022

Apr 9, 2021
I recently did a fresh install of Proxmox 7 and switched from using legacy bios to UEFI.

I used these instructions to configure intel_iommu for systemd-boot.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

Everything is working except for the my Plex VM which uses GPU passthrough but the only part that isn't working is XOrg. I get the dreaded black screen when I try to view console window through Proxmox web interface. Also note that this is a VM that I restored from my Proxmox 6 environment and now have running in my Proxmox 7 environment. This used to work fine in my Proxmox 6 environment.

From what I can tell the Plex VM and all of the Nvidia drivers are loaded correctly.

nvidia-smi returns the following and my Plex server is actively using it to do transcodes.

1626366963833.png

The only part that isn't working is the "black screen" when I try to view the VM from the Proxmox console. Like I said Plex and everything else seems to be happy just not XOrg. ctrl + alt + F2 properly takes me to the tty2 login screen, etc.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

-Matt

Last edited:
I ended up restoring from an earlier Proxmox Backup and that resolved my issue. Not entirely sure why.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!