New Proxmox 5.1 won't load VM's & no GUI

hzk916

Renowned Member
Feb 24, 2015
Have a new install of Proxmox 5.1 on a Dell R710, about 2 weeks old. It wont load VMs and there is no GUI. I can SSH into it OK. and it is loading as far as the Proxmox login prompt. All was well until I tried to setup the backup, kept getting errors trying to start NFS, it would not load. Check back a week later and there is no GUI, did a reboot and now the 2 x VM's wont load and still no GUI. Any help much appreciated.
This is a live server that I need to get back up urgently.
I do have a 2nd server (Dell R715) with a 5.0 ver of proxmox running there. Perhaps if I could find the VM files I could slide them across to it.

What is the output of

# pvresm status

This checks if all configured storages are accessible.

looks like I have no commands, going to try install another Proxmox on a usb drive see if I can get in that way.

Not sure what to say about that but going back to your problem...proxmox is debian linux underneath so if you have "no commands" as you say maybe you should try booting a System Rescue CD to see what is going on.

I got sorted with the help of a friend who SSH into it. It appears that I installed a version of debian over the proxmox. He was able to reinstall Proxmox while keeping all settings and VM's. Back up and running in 20min.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!