new prospective server, hardware compatibility

V1ce

Nov 2, 2015
Hi,

We will soon get a new server (proposed by our provider) and i want to know if the hardware have an optimal compatibility with the last proxmox version, especialy the RAID controller

Server : HP DL360 Gen 9
RAID controller : HP smart array p440ar
Hypervisor disks : 2x 300Go SAS 10k RAID 1
VMS storage disks : 4 x 900Go SAS 10k RAID 10
RAM : 4 x 16 Go DDR4 2133 MHz
processor : 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620v3

The RAID controller should work with debian but i prefer to have feedback from exp users, will my first install with proxmox.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Hi,
can't say anything about your raid controller but are you shure that an raid 0 for the system is an good idea???

I would prefer raid1 in this case - except your VMs are not realy important and you can live with a longer downtime...

Udo

Yes of course raid 1, error from me i've edited it.

These time i read many thread about advantages of ZFS instead a propritary hardware controller, that's make me wants to use it for my vms storage, but im not experienced with it, just test it on a old server, what do you think about the idea to use it in this little config?

Last edited:
Yes of course raid 1, error from me i've edited it.

These time i read many thread about advantages of ZFS instead a propritary hardware controller, that's make me wants to use it for my vms storage, but im not experienced with it, just test it on a old server, what do you think about the idea to use it in this little config?

Hi,
there are some people in this forum which prefer zfs.

I had done an test with 6 hdds (sata) in raidz2 which was much slower than a raid6 with areca-raidcontroller... (also with SSD as zil/l2arc).
If I had spare time, I want to test "raid-10" with zfs but can't say anything about the performance yet.

Another idea: if your raidcontroller support this, why not use the 2 disks for the operating system with the other disks in raid-10 (perhaps upgrade to 900GB) and simply define two volumes.
6 spindles give much more speed than 4! And the OS don't do so much IO.
With an areca raidcontroller you can even mix the raidlevel between both volumes (like raid-6 system and raid-10 vm-storage). I learned yesterday that lsi this don't support - all raid-volumes must have the same level... (don't know why).

But on the most pve-server I have another config, which run good for me:
2 big sata (like 3TB) in raid 1 for system (small) and backup (big).
4-x disks in raid10 for lvm/drbd/local_storage - type of disks depends on the usage (sas or sata)

Udo

You will probably have issues running zfs on that raid controller. zfs preffers to have full control over the drives, and i've yet to see any smart array controller being able to function as a true HBA, and export the drives as JBOD. It will probably export each drive as an "independent" Raid0, which is a very bad situation for zfs. I would probably create 2 arrays in your case, a raid1 and a raid10, and just use the controller capabilities (cache, bbu or capacitor).

Sent from my SM-N9005

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!