[SOLVED] New NetGear router and modem (not combo), CANT CONNECT TO UI

TheDon1

Jul 11, 2020
I was really cruising and learning a lot on proxmox while using the rented modem router combo I got from xfinity. I rescently upgraded to a new NetGear cm600 router, and AC1750 nighthawk router. I also have an 8 port netgear switch. My internet is up and running, but when I try to connect to to the ProxMox UI from another computer on the network it says the site can't be reached (10.0.0.222 took to long to respond).

When I go to the console on my proxmox server it says to connect to https://10.0.0.222:8006 to configure server (this is the message that I am use to seeing. When I go to that address on a computer in my home network the site cant be reached. Is there some sort of configuration I need to do when I am switching routers? I am tempted to reinstall proxmox but I already have several VMS that I am using with a fair amount of work into them.

I have gone to the routerlogin.net site and attempted to configure the LAN network to the settings I think it requires. I NEED HELP!! Please if you need more info, let me know!

The Don

Just to clarify on your terminology I think the NetGear cm600 is your modem and the AC1750 is the actual router, unless I'm missing something.

It sounds like you changed your router and now your proxmox machine is on a different network than your router. Your router is trying to find proxmox on it's network, but proxmox is on another.

The Xfinity modem/router combos have a network identifier of 10.0.XXX.XXX, which is what your proxmox machine set up it's initial IP address on, while your nighthawk router is now on 192.168.XXX.XXX if you left the default.

So, on your PC, connected to your nighthawk router and with a 192.168.XXX.XXX ip address is trying to access the remote GUI for proxmox, your router is looking around on 192.168.XXX.XXX for proxmox machine and it's not finding it because the proxmox's gateway is looking for 10.0.0.1 or whatever (your old router). I'm assuming you didn't set up some kind of VLAN bridge or similar.

You can find what network you're on on the PC you are working on by opening a command window/terminal and typing "ipconfig" in Windows or "ifconfig" in linux (or Mac also, I believe). My guess is your machine's ip address will start with 192.168.1.XXX or 192.168.0.XXX.

You could solve one of two ways:

Reassign your new AC1750 router the same network prefix of your old Xfinity network (10.0.0.XXX)

OR

Connect directly to your proxmox VE machine (with monitor & keyboard) and give it a new static IP on the new network via the command line. You should then be able to access the web GUI and then reassign all your VMs and CTs with a new static IP addresses on the new network.

Not knowing too much else about your network, I would recommend just changing your new AC1750 router IP addressing to be 10.0.0.XXX so you wouldn't have to change all the work you did on your VMs.

Last edited:
Okay this sounds very good I everything you are saying is right, the ip address for all of my machines are now 192.168..... and proxmox is 10.0.0......, do you have any idea how I would change my ip addressing to fit the 10.0.0.... model?

These instructions sound like they would apply to you:
https://kb.netgear.com/24088/How-do-I-change-the-LAN-TCP-IP-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

You'll need to make sure you change the router's IP address to the same one as the old router - 10.0.0.1 because that's what proxmox thinks is the gateway.

It sounds like it's automatic from those instructions but also make sure the DHCP handler is handing out ranges on the new network table, probably something between 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.199 and that your proxmox and other static IP addresses are outside that range.

Okay, my router is now assigning IP addresses in the form 10.0.0.xxx, my proxmox address is 10.0.0.222, and I have my router set to 10.0.0.1. This is the gateway that is listed when I check the /etc/network/interfaces path on my host machine. Still times out when I try to access the web browser UI :(

The old info may be stored in your browser. Try using another browser you don't normally use and type in your the PVE IP address (chrome & firefox are preferred but one you don't normally use) and see if you can get it to resolve. If it does then clear your main browser's cache.

can you ping the proxmox ip and get a return from the same device you're accessing via the web interface?

try pinging the ip address from the router if that is an available feature.

if you can do these two things, can you ssh into the proxmox server?

this is weird, it looks like I contacted it but I am not used to seeing "destination host unreachable. Internet exprlorer is not working either.

Attachments

• ping222.PNG
    ping222.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 13
Okay. I just realized when I tried to run apt-get update on my proxmox host-- i was unable to reach the the internet. Do I need to reconfigure my internet connection. when I run nano /etc/network/interfaces everything looked like it was in order. I am using the same ethernet patch cable I used before, and simply not connecting

Last edited:
my /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
-----address 10.0.0.222
-----netmask 255.255.255.0
-----gateway 10.0.0.1 //(this is what my new router ip address is)
-----bridge_ports eno1
-----bridge_stp off
-----bridge_fd 0

If proxmox can't connect to internet check that the proxmox DNS is set up.

See if you can ping google.com in proxmox. Then check if you can ping 8.8.8.8. If 8.8.8.8 returns and google.com doesn't you are connected to the internet but you've got a DNS mismatch somewhere.

Also check that the proxmox netmask is the same as the router. 255.255.255.0 is typical.

What does ifconfig return in proxmox?

ipconfig does not return
8.8.8.8 looks like this:
From 10.0.0.222 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

google.com looks like this:
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

Did you try and ping 8.8.8.8?

The ifconfig shouldn't return anything with 8.8.8.8. I was just wondering what it was showing.

If 8.8.8.8 resolves then your DNS on your proxmox might need to be updated.

Sorry this is so annoying.

Networking is tedious!

no 8.8.8.8 does not return anything it says this:

"16 packets transmitted, 0 received, +13 errors, 100% packet loss"

Yes this is very tricky I really do appreciaite your help though!

just out of curiousity (i dont think im there yet) but would a fresh install of proxmox automatical configure things correctly? and if so is there a way to backup atleast two of my vms on an external drive and import them on the fresh install?

OH WOW ITS FIXED. I am sorry I am a Java proffesional with just about a networking class of experience to work off so I.....forgot to reboot to apply changes. I absolutely appreciate your help so much! Next I will attempt to to move this all to a VPN so I can access out of network (unless that is not smart, I need to research), so im sure it will be down again soon ;). I am so relieved, this was a cause of great angst. cmdre64 you ROCK!

Awesome! The old reboot to apply changes....

Glad you didn't have to go the fresh install route.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!