[SOLVED] New install of PVE7 - Bridge won't receive an IPv6 Auto Configured Address

daniel.b

Aug 26, 2021
I have a fresh install of PVE7. I joined this node to an existing cluster which I upgraded from V6 to V7. The network configuration is default on the new node. The bridge receives an IPv4 address, but will not receive an IPv6 address from auto configuration. The other nodes in the cluster are receiving their IPv6 addresses from auto configuration.

My new node has 2 network interfaces, which I will refer to as Interface 1 and Interface 2. Both are connected to my server network. The default configuration had Interface 1 as part of the bridge. Interface 2 was in a down state and not part of the bridge. I turned up the Interface 2 and it received an IPv6 address. I then changed the bridge so that Interface 2 was in the bridge and removed Interface 1. After rebooting the node, the result was the same - the bridge had an IPv4 address but no IPv6 address. I reset the network configuration back to default, which has Interface 1 included in the bridge.

The network interfaces file from the new node looks nearly identical to the interfaces file on my other nodes, except for the name of the specific interfaces.

Here is the /etc/network/interfaces file:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0f0np0 inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface enp2s0f1np1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 100.64.0.113/24
        gateway 100.64.0.1
        bridge-ports enp2s0f0np0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

I'm at a loss on how to get the bridge to receive an auto configured IPv6 address.

maybe related to ifupdown2 ?

can you try to install "apt install ifupdown" to see if it's help ?

That did the trick! When I installed ifupdown, ifupdown2 was removed. I rebooted the node and had an IPv6 address on the bridge. Thanks for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!