[SOLVED] New install can't log on.

Jun 17, 2021
Hello,

after the not booting problem after upgrading from 7 to 8 I decided to reinstall Proxmox and restore all VMs from backup. This worked well, it's added to a cluster, all vms worked fine until I restarted the new host. Now I can't log on anymore I get this error message:
Linux Europa 6.2.16-3-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.2.16-3 (2023-06-17T05:58Z) x86_64 The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright. Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Last login: Tue Jul 18 15:58:15 CEST 2023 on tty1 Cannot execute exit: No such file or directory

I can see this when I try to start a shell from the web UI. SSH does not work, I think I can see the same error but the connection is closed.
I tried to change the log on shell but it did not help.
I can start VMs from the UI, exept one which is locked and I cannot unlock due to the missing shell access :)
Starting an older Kernel does not help

Any sugestions?

Regards
André

Last edited:
Try logging in while you run journalctl -f and see whats going on

Can you acess your proxmox at all or does it simply hang right after the boot loader?

do you have physical acess to the device and can attach a keyboard and a monior?

I found the issue. I was able to start the rescue mode and I found that in /etc/passwd the log in shell for root was set to "exit". I have no idea how and when this happened. However everything is working again.

Reactions: bbgeek17

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!