NEW HOME SERVER Ryzen MOBO? -=Asrock Rack x470=- VS -=Asus Prime pro x470=- VS -=Asus pro ws x570 ACE=-

turdor

Apr 2, 2017
edit: to put it simple
Which one (see title) is better and more stable for a workstation usage (I swithch many VMs)???

Time to change...
Currently I'm having my old AMD FX9590 w 990FXA board,obviously no ECC, fine IMMO grouping etc... by the way none of VMs are booting after new year holydays and host just rebooting, any suggestions? If I´m not running VMs host is running. Not from comand line not from webinterface none of them (((

So Í'm in front of a new build, while even my past dreambuild (2 x Intel E5-2670 / Asrock EP2C602) became obsolete in front of a new AMD Ryzen 9 and Thredreapper LOL, so I'm forced by time to go for the latter as my primary usage is VIRTUALIZED WORKSTATION w GPU PASSTHROUGH!

Looking forward for Ryzen 9, 3900 and latter (in 4-6 months) upgrade to 3950, also willing to try make it well balanced between moneysaving (for future Thredreapper update by the end of the year) and hassle free system (remember my ex-dream above LOL)

So ECC no question asked! The question is MOBO, so my primary candidates are

1. ASUS PRIME x470 PRO
looks well, many positive feedback in past, but sometime appears questions on forums/reddit similar to my current system... I can update to 3950x cpu supposedly fine (obviously - no OC in PVE world) and I'm fine for now w 64GB RAM (32 GB ECC UDIMM modules seems impossible to find in EU anyways), 3 video slots and 2 m2 suits me perfectly for now! On top of all I can buy it second hand for 2-3x times cheaper compared to other competitors in the list below! But is it stable enoght? Is it supported well?

2. ASRock Rack X470D4U AMD AM4
seems like a pro, way closer to my ex-dream, LOL dual-lan + Out of the band KVM Nic (if I can use it for remote strat-stop and does it helps me access PVE host from another locatons? does it has embeded videocard-so it can be streamed like w KVM/LAN dodngle?) etc, but more expensive, have some unclear RAM situation (timings have to be adjusted manually, unknown compatibility w ECC/multibit), also it has only 2 full videocard slots and I better NEED 3 VIDEOCARDS! MAY 3rd SHORT SLOT BE USED FOR a 3rd VIDEOCARD W A PCI RISER? OR MAY BE EMBEDED VGA CAN BE USED FOR CONTROLLING HOST? - both will be fine in my case! Anyway after reading about this MOBO I have posititve feeling but more questions arise... especially on ECC RAM Speed/compatibility w AMD Ryzen 9 9300x & 9350x... Seems to be a popular model in Germany and in PVE community. Also it is mATX and less heat! (some ppl controversary nagging on hot VRMs/wattage)

3. ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE
looks like another less hussle alternative, but is it really comparable to real server MOBO? Is it solid workstation-server? I never seen anyone refere to working KVM-remote start-stop etc... they mention "asus control center" and "server deployments, including VMWare" but does it help somehow us - PVE users? I'm a bit sceptical tbh. The rest seems amazing but not that much yet to consider 3x overpay compared to candidate #1 and 1.5x compared to #2 ;) 3 full videocard slots at 8x is yammy but again - no 32GB ECC UDIMMs available yet!

Anyway - my main question is how well-solid PVE will work on those three plzzzzzz?
I really want a satbility gain compared to my gygabyte 990FXA, similar to mentioned Asrock EP2C602, but 3x video cards are critical for me!

YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE I APRICIATE!
CHEERS!!!
t

Last edited:
I suspect CV19 forced his/her hand a bit, but i would say check out the Level 1 forums. They might not have an answer but a lot of them play/use proxmox and linux on new hardware.

There are lots of interesting options these days. For example, it would be interesting to find someone running an Asrock X570 Taichi with three 2TB NVME drives - on paper, that should be a fast and reliable box.

There are only so many hours in the day, it's great to have groups like this, Reddit & webhostingtalk to provide real-life results.

Hey!
Sorry for being late... but hope it finds some one well, seems like sweetspot hw did not change since... ;)

So I end up w ASUS PRIME X570 PRO - rock solid video card passthrough (AMD 280x +Nvidia 1060 + old AMD for the host)
ECC is working good, even on boot PVE throw some errors regarding BIOS/ECC, but I did not bother as VMs are rock solid (Kingston Prime ECC UDIMM 16GB x 4 )

NVMe 1tb SSD are from PNY, 3030 model, for being both cheap and high milage model ;) I was away from ZFS for this build, but probably will get back to it as soon as will configure and test well external PBS backup server =P

Compared to my previous AMD FX9590 w 990FXA build it's on the moon and super-duper solid.
ASUS Prime x470 Pro did not had proper BIOS for AMD 3900x and ECC was questionable, so I end up returning it and keeping x570.

The only thing - when I by accident trying to use too much cores on some extra guest - host reboots, may be it related to passthrough, I did not debug tbh.

BEST! :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!