new datastore: backup connect failed: command error: Permission denied (os error 13)

tobywhiting10

Jan 15, 2022
UK
tobywhiting10.com
I had two original data stores:
/mnt/datastore/2023/ and /mnt/datastore/disk/

I wanted to remove 'disk' and create a new data store with some of the backups from '2023'

I ran the following:
1. mkdir /mnt/datastore/backup/{vm, ct}
2. cp /mnt/datastore/2023/vm/<vmids to keep> /mnt/datastore/backup/vm/<vmids
3. then added a new datastore specifying /mnt/datastore/backup via the gui
4. configured proxmox
(i then planed to run a rm on 2023 and disk)

However whenever I try and run a backup from within proxmox I get:

Code:
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 105 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2024-03-23 20:06:33
INFO: status = running
INFO: VM Name: Pterodactyl
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'nvme:105/vm-105-disk-0.qcow2' 500G
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/105/2024-03-23T20:06:33Z'
ERROR: VM 105 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: Permission denied (os error 13)
INFO: aborting backup job
INFO: resuming VM again
ERROR: Backup of VM 105 failed - VM 105 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: Permission denied (os error 13)
INFO: Failed at 2024-03-23 20:06:33
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 107 (qemu)

I have a feeling this has something to do with me running an MKDIR command rather than using the 'create directory' button in the Gui (I couldn't because the disc was already used by the previous two data stores)
Any thoughts on how I'd go about fixing this

cheers

I ran the following:
1. mkdir /mnt/datastore/backup/{vm, ct}
2. cp /mnt/datastore/2023/vm/<vmids to keep> /mnt/datastore/backup/vm/<vmids
3. then added a new datastore specifying /mnt/datastore/backup via the gui
4. configured proxmox
(i then planed to run a rm on 2023 and disk)
That is not how it works. All data of all backup snapshots of all guests are a big deduplicated mess in that hidden ".chunk" folder. You can't copy individual VMs via "cp". With that you are only copying the index files but not the actual data. To move backup snapshots between datastores you have to run a (local) sync job in PBS.

So correct would be:
1.) Create new empty datastore.
2.) do a local sync job syncing your bckups from the old datastore to the new datastore
3.) do a full forced re-verify
4.) do some test restores and check that everything is still working and all you care about is properly synced
5.) destroy that old datastore

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!