New cluster with one node

dendi

Renowned Member
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,
Is it safe to create a cluster with a single node and create VMs (in production enviroment).
I need to create a cluster because I'll add nodes later.
Thank you

Keep in mind that certain configurations are not editable anymore after you created a cluster.
There is no need to create a cluster right now, you can wait until the other nodes are available.

Reactions: Dominic
ok so your suggestion is to put VMs first and create the cluster with running VMs (and join other empty nodes) when I need it.
Thank you

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but only nodes that join an existing cluster have to be "empty". By the time you create the cluster the first node may have VMs running.
This is about 99% sure, so you probably want to have a backup that you can restore, just in case.
The thing is that you won't be able to change the IP address after cluster creation. If you're already absolutely sure about your hostnames and addresses, you can of course also create the cluster right now.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but only nodes that join an existing cluster have to be "empty". By the time you create the cluster the first node may have VMs running.

the joining nodes need to be empty, because they inherit the /etc/pve from the first node.

but you can create the cluster on the first node, when you already have vms running on it, no problem

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0x
Thank you for your replies. I'm sure to mantain current IPs and configuration so I'll opt for creating cluster now, because I like to do more before and less after :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!