New Cluster using PVE 5.4 and 6?

Feb 5, 2018
I intend to make a temporary cluster from a PVE 5.4 and PVE 6 node and then do an online migration of two VMs to the new node Then I would shutdown the PVE 5.4 node and reinstall as version 6.

Since no cluster currently exists, can I just follow the instructions for setting up a cluster, or do I need to perform the steps linked below to upgrade Corosync first on the 5.4 node? I'm not sure if the steps below are only needed for existing clusters, or also in my situation of two independent nodes forming a new cluster.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0#Cluster:_always_upgrade_to_Corosync_3_first

EDIT:

Sorry, think I just answered my own question reading the cluster doc.

"Running a cluster of Proxmox VE 6.x with earlier versions is not possible. The cluster protocol (corosync) between Proxmox VE 6.x and earlier versions changed fundamentally. The corosync 3 packages for Proxmox VE 5.4 are only intended for the upgrade procedure to Proxmox VE 6.0."

I guess I will need to migrate the machines manually via vzdump and then update to 6.0 before making the cluster.

Last edited:
I guess I will need to migrate the machines manually via vzdump and then update to 6.0 before making the cluster.

This is asking for a lot less trouble than a temporary cluster. Feel free to ask for help if something should go wrong!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!