New Build Advice

DivideAndReformat

Sep 26, 2024
Hello, I would like to build a Proxmox server to use as my main PC. I'm wondering if it is possible to have the OS - Proxmox - utilise the CPU's built in graphics chip while passing the GPU entirely through to a dedicated gaming VM. I would have a desktop KVM switch so my monitor, keyboard, and mouse can switch between the host and the ports dedicated for the specific guest.

Is the above possible? What pitfalls I should expect?

Gaming is not a top priority for me so I would like to be able to easily use the GPU for AI work. Is it a case of configuring PCIe passthrough for all targets but only one VM can be online at a time? This would be fine, but I'd be hesitant to have to keep changing settings just to close one VM and start another.

Proposed PC specification
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair X70E Hero
  • AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
  • 64GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

You dropped this question in the backup server forum. Different product. Wrong spot.

I do all of the above on Win11 with HyperV. You might want to consider the same. My Proxmox ceph lab is entirely virtualized in HyperV. If you are just doing this for the challenge, try that. It's challenging. But the end product (unfortunately, a Windows system is still the most comfortable OS) is much more usable than the Proxmox server you propose.

If you are determined, head over to the Install and Config forum.
https://forum.proxmox.com/forums/proxmox-ve-installation-and-configuration.16/
There are other people there trying this sort of thing. Read a bit.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!