New 2 node cluster with ZFS replication

geertv

Jan 27, 2020
Belgium
Hi,
i'm new to proxmox and try to setup a 2-node cluster (no HA) with ZFS replication.
Both systems have a 2 small disks in RAID 1 for the Promox hypervisor and 6x 1.8Tb disks in RAID 6 which were meant for the VM's.
Both system are meanwhile deployed with the latest Proxmox version.
If i am correct, 1st thing to do is setup the cluster, is it OK to use a back-to-back ethernet cable between the machine for the cluster traffic ?
Next would be the ZFS storage, i would make use of the replication possibilities.
When i select create ZFS on a node, i see my /dev/sdb disk, but i also see a warning that ZFS is not compatible with hardware raid, so i think this is my first issue...
Replication is only possible with ZFS ? Should i remove all hardware raid setup ?
Current config:
Disk /dev/sdb: 6.6 TiB, 7199170494464 bytes, 14060879872 sectors Disk model: PRAID EP400i Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes Disklabel type: gpt

Thanks for your support !

Hi,
If i am correct, 1st thing to do is setup the cluster, is it OK to use a back-to-back ethernet cable between the machine for the cluster traffic ?
Yes, this is completely OK.

HW Raid and ZFS are not compatible.
Maybe you can check if your HWRaid card can be flashed in IT-Mode.
Passthrough or JBOD is not an option.

I was able to modify the RAID-controller config (standard JBOD), the disks are now individually available to proxmox, after which i created the ZFS pool with RAIDZ2. Is there anything else to do for the replication to start ? For now i have a test machine running on node 1, but no replication to node 2...

You have to setup the replication. Either on the Datacenter level or on the individual VM. It's a separate panel.

This is a feature that is built on top of ZFS snapshots and the send/receive mechanism of ZFS. It is not enabled automagically. You have to enable it per VM and define to which node it should be replicated and the interval.

Luckily, because I only replicate the important VMs in my 2 node cluster. The ones that are not so important (not email/network related) can be offline for a bit without a problem. I also want different intervals, The email server is replicated each minute while the DHCP and DNS server can be replicated in longer intervals. It comes down to how long of a data loss you can live with should a node go down during the interval between replications.

I have just setup this very same scenario and created a 2-node cluster just for replication. Now, I wanted to perform some failure checks and and wanted to know, what steps would be necessary to re-create, in this case the 2nd replication node in case it's system got corrupted or broken.

So I shut down the replication node and reinstalled pve. However, I cannot rejoin the reinstalled node, since the 1st node claims that there already exists a node by the same name. Is there any way achieve this?

EDIT: Ahh… found it anyway - just remove the old nodename although it is not mentioned when running pvecm node onthe remaining node…

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!