Networking Services don’t auto-start on boot up - Dell R720 w/ proxmox (Warning: Beginner User)

The_MisFitz

Dec 8, 2019
I’m working on a home server project using a Dell R720 to serve as a NAS, PLEX server, and torrent grabber. This is my first server ever and my first experience in networking, server hardware, and Linux. Because of this, I do not know how to carry out the three functions listed out above so I’m trying to tackle each objective individually.

Currently, I have proxmox successfully installed and that’s as far as I’ve gotten. Unfortunately, I cannot access the web GUI on startup. After a few nights utilizing the help of the /r/home lab discord, I discovered I was able to access the web GUI after I restarted the networking service on proxmox, directly from the server. The exact commands I used are below.

“service networking restart”
“service pveproxy restart”

After running these two commands, I am able to access the Web GUI from another device on my home network (desktop PC). I need to figure out how to fix this so that these services are either already functioning upon boot, or automatically running the two commands on boot so I can access the Web GUI without having a monitor and keyboard hooked up to the server at all times.

As I said earlier, this is my first experience with Linux so I’m sure there is other significant info that is needed. Please tell me what information would be useful and how to obtain it (if through the console) and I’d be happy to provide. I greatly appreciate all help regarding this!

P.S. This is my first time on this forum so if this was posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Please advise as to where it should be.

Is the server reachable via the network after a reboot (and GUI not working)?
Can you ping it? Can you login via SSH?

If yes, what is the output of systemctl status pveproxy?

Can't ping without running the restart commands. Haven't tried SSH.

root@pve:~# systemctl status pveproxy
● pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2019-12-09 14:22:30 EST; 3min 25s ago
Process: 1432 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pveproxy start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1435 (pveproxy)
Tasks: 4 (limit: 7372)
Memory: 150.3M
CGroup: /system.slice/pveproxy.service
├─1435 pveproxy
├─1436 pveproxy worker
├─1437 pveproxy worker
└─1438 pveproxy worker

Dec 09 14:22:28 pve systemd[1]: Starting PVE API Proxy Server...
Dec 09 14:22:30 pve pveproxy[1435]: starting server
Dec 09 14:22:30 pve pveproxy[1435]: starting 3 worker(s)
Dec 09 14:22:30 pve pveproxy[1435]: worker 1436 started
Dec 09 14:22:30 pve pveproxy[1435]: worker 1437 started
Dec 09 14:22:30 pve pveproxy[1435]: worker 1438 started
Dec 09 14:22:30 pve systemd[1]: Started PVE API Proxy Server.

image0_40.jpeg

Dec 09 15:26:38 pve systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Raise network interfaces.
Dec 09 15:26:38 pve systemd[1]: networking.service: Job networking.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

Last edited:
Can you show the contents of /etc/network/interfaces?

Not sure what happened, but it is now working without having to restart the networking services. I have no idea what changed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!