Networking/Routing help

droidus

Apr 5, 2020
I am trying to route traffic from my dell server out to the internet. I have the server -> laptop (I guess acting like a router, for now - running Linux) -> WAP -> Linux Bastion host -> Internet. I tried to route traffic from the server to my laptop with this: ip route add default gw <ip_of_laptop>/32 vmbr0, but it tells me "either "to" is duplicate, or "gw" is a garbage". The only other rule I have in my routing table is this: <ip>/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src <ip_of_proxmox>.
I am not a networking guy, so I would appreciate any further assistance on this so my hosts on Proxmox can get out.

* you need to configure your laptop to actually forward packets (depending on the network-setup maybe also to NAT packets) - there are many howtos on the net how to do that
* is ip_of_laptop in the same network as <ip>/24 ? - if not configure one ip from <ip>/24 on your laptop (otherwise the PVE host does not know how to reach its gateway
finally the command should be:
Code:
ip route add default via <ip_of_laptop> dev vmbr0
(but you can just configure the proper values in /etc/network/interfaces - and reboot)

Apart from that - out of curiosity - any particular reason for this quite complicated setup? (why not directly plug you PVE-node to a switch and have a firewall filter the traffic before it goes in/out to the internet)

I hope this helps!

Apart from that - out of curiosity - any particular reason for this quite complicated setup? (why not directly plug you PVE-node to a switch and have a firewall filter the traffic before it goes in/out to the internet)

I hope this helps!
I would love a simpler solution - but my WAP is too far away to plug my server into. Any other ideas on how I can simplify this? I am not using a switch, as most devices are wireless on my network.

hmm - if you cannot use a physical cable to your infrastructure you could consider the following (and read the according documentation):
* add a wifi-card to your pve-server and use a routed setup (most wifi-devices don't work as bridge-ports in station/client mode): https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#_routed_configuration
* plug the PVE server into a wifi-access-point which you configure to forward the packets from the ethernet port via wifi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!