Networking from vm to nested vm problems

brian.buchanan

Nov 24, 2021
Hello,

I think I have a simliar problem to the one discussed in this thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/networking-not-working-on-nested-vm.84894/

Basically I can't access an "L2" vm from a different "L1" VM, however from an external laptop everything is working well.

As an additional oddity, ping from the L1 to L2 seems to work and it seem to be TCP traffic that's affected?

On the L2, tcpdump does capture the icmp ping traffic, and it shows that every tcp packet has a checksum error.

Specifically I have a Windows 11 Eval VM and a GNS3VM, and inside the GNS3VM I'm running a Palo Alto firewall with the Management NIC mapped to the gns3 eth0. The Win11 VM can't connect to the PA's management console but it works from a laptop outside of ProxMox.

Thanks!

Attached a packet capture from the PA with
tcpdump filter "host 192.168.2.151 and not port 22"

where .151 is the other proxmox vm. Ping is successful, attempt to open a port to 443 fails, Trying a browser to 443 fails, again try telnet 443 and finally a successful ping again.

Attachments

• mgmt.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just to change things up I changed the management IP to 10.0.0.2 and added 10.0.0.1 as a second IP to the windows client and made two more captures. Ping still works but tcp to port 443 does not.

Attachments

• mgmt.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
  • client.zip
    672 bytes · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!