[SOLVED] Network topology in PVE

Yannick ITPRO

Jan 24, 2023
Hello,

My question may seem silly, but how do you connect the VMs directly to the network, without going through NAT or routing via the bridge.

In the same way as VMware vSwitches.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yann.

Hello,

My question may seem silly, but how do you connect the VMs directly to the network, without going through NAT or routing via the bridge.

In the same way as VMware vSwitches.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yann.
Hi,
you could pass trough a NIC to the VM for direct access, although it is then attached to this VM exclusively. Otherwise you will have to use a bridged setup or a routed setup with a Linux bridge, as that's where your tap interfaces are attached to. Which setup to use depends on your needs. Please also refer to https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration for examples of a bridged and routed setup.

I am not familiar with VMware vSwitches, but at first glance it seems to operate on the same principle, by using a virtual bridge.

Reactions: Yannick ITPRO
Thank you very much Chris for your quick and accurate answer!!!

Indeed, the bridge mode perfectly meets my expectations.
In addition, bridge with NAT or routing is an advantage that proxmox offers over vmware ESXi

Best Regards.
Yann

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!