Network setup - Since NIC and pfsense

gretz

Jan 28, 2022
Hello,

I have a proxmox host with 2 network interfaces and 2 ISP :

LAN/Management : currently connected to another LAN (ISP1)
WAN 10Gb : directly connected ISP2

I plan to have another NIC (usb) soon to act as LAN in pfsense for ISP2 that will be connected to my wifi router.

The thing is in the meantime I was wondering since I have enabled VF on the WAN card if I could simulate a LAN interface on pfsense with one of the VFs and have VMs in proxmox use other VFs that will be connected to this LAN behind pfsense ?

A diagram to explain a bit more my target :

Screenshot_20220514_160000.png

Not sure if this is technically possible ?

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but it might be worth considering just using failover in pfsense. You can set it up to be active/active and use even all three WANs all at once with different priorities.

Assuming you can pass all the physical ports to pfsense then that is what I would do. Hand all your physical ports to pfsense, set up failover and have your proxmox host communicate via a virtual port on pfsense. For anything past proxmox you will have to use a port forwarding and or a reverse proxy. That is what I do on my virtualized pfsense firewall, except I don't have multiple ISPs to use failover with (yet).

yeah I went for the simple approach with usb nic, speeds are fine aroune 900Mbs (usb passthrough) but latency is not great I get 1.5ms between 2 directly connected hosts ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!