Network problem 2nd card

Elberton

Mar 2, 2019
Hi all.
I have a fresh install of proxmox 6 on a new server.
I have an asus p10S-M WS with 2 inetwork card on the motherboard (Intel® I210, 2 x Contrôleur Gigabit LAN)

On the network tab the first is name em3
And the 2nd "rename3" with unknow device.
I can't use the 2nd card. I have change on the /et/network/interface by eth0. The 2nd card call now network card. But it's deplay not active on the web interface.

I don't understand what's happen.
can you help me to active this second network card ?

Thank's

Please make sure to install all available updates for your systems firmware (BIOS/NIC-firmware if applicable/CPU-microcode) since those issue sometimes resolve themselves with the newest firmware.

Please also install all available updates on your PVE-node

If this does not help - check `dmesg` and `journalctl -b` (after booting) - that should explain where the problem comes from

I hope this helps!

Hi.
problem Solved.
For test i have install a fresh debian 10. Problem of the second network appear too.
i found the solution. I past my /etc/network/interfaces.

First you need to be sure of the name of network card :

ls /sys/class/net/

For my case rename 3

After edit your conf interfaces.

I add allow-hotplug for each network device with the good name with the previous command.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eno1
iface eno1 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.50
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

allow-hotplug rename3
iface rename3 inet dhcp

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports rename3
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

hmm - still the 'renameX' is a indicator that something does not quite work out with udev - I would suggest checking the logs
Also running dhcp on a bridge-port (the physical nic) is not really supported

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!