Network often not working

PonyoHam

May 23, 2018
Hi,

I installed Proxmox 6.2 and very often networking is not working. When I try to ping it says network is unreachable. ip route show has no route.

The network config looks OK and if I set it to DHCP it sometimes works, but most of the time it doesn't. Same goes for a static IP. As soon as I boot from my Windows disk everything is fine. This is all on the same hardware so the problem is somewhere with whatever Linux's network stack is doing. Even booting from Proxmox installation media often has the same problem. It won't get an IP but if I try a couple of times it suddenly gets an IP.

None of the other devices on my network has similar problems.

Is there anything I could look at? I've checked the basics but that is about as far as my linux knowledge goes.

hi,

do i understand correctly, you've installed PVE and the networking isn't working?

The network config looks OK and if I set it to DHCP it sometimes works, but most of the time it doesn't.
you should ideally use a static IP - and set the /etc/hosts file accordingly so that running hostname --ip-address returns the IP of the PVE host.

could you please share your network configuration here? cat /etc/network/interfaces and cat /etc/hosts.

Reactions: bobmc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!