network - no inbound traffic

remx

Mar 31, 2010
Hi,
sorry if this post is a duplicate but but fore sure i've been searching for 3 day without results.
I am very impressed by your work and everything could be fine but the bascis doesn't work :-(
my problem affects either OpenVZ or KVM in bidge mode (vmbr0),pve kernel 2.6.18 i also used kernel 2.6.24-10-pve to test.
All network traffic is ok except inbound traffic from lan to VMs. To reduce search range it is the same between 2 VMs on 2 nodes of my pve cluster (on the same switch). but iperf from VMs on node1 to lan or to node2(host) is ok.
to sum up:

MyPC (lan) -> Proxmox1 (host) =ok
[ 4] 0.0-10.1 sec 114 MBytes 94.0 Mbits/sec
MyPC (lan) -> VM1 on Proxmox1 =NOK
[ 3] 0.0-13.5 sec 120 KBytes 73.1 Kbits/sec
Proxmox1 -> VM1 on Proxmox1 =OK
[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 2.79 GBytes 2.40 Gbits/sec

My infra is composed of 2 HP servers BL490 in a c7000, switches are [SIZE=-1]GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem.
Maybe is it a issue with the switch but don't undersand why (the MAC address of proxmox1 is seen and in forward mode in the arp table).

Regards.
[/SIZE]

ok, next investigation.
It's not a switch issue, i installled PVE on another server model and it works like a charm. So i think it's a issue with the nic model or a driver support.
the problem happens on a ProLiant BL490c G6 with 10Gb nic NC532i, but i works on ProLiant BL460c G1 with 1Gb nic NC373i.
does anybody got an idea?

i found the problem, the TPA is enbable by befaut in the bnx2x driver.
"TPA unfortunately is a form of LRO. Unlike GRO, it is fundamentally
incompatible with bridging. So it has to be disabled when bridging is in use. "so i created a file bnx-options in /etc/modprobe.d with options bnx2x disable_tpa=1
then everything goes well.

Hope it helps!

Be careful this workaround works with bnx2x version 1.52.1 but it doest'n work if you upgrade to 2.6.32-4-pve, the bnx2x module upgrades to version 1.52.15 and the disable_tpa param doesn't exists anymore :-/
so, still searching for a solution...

Be careful this workaround works with bnx2x version 1.52.1 but it doest'n work if you upgrade to 2.6.32-4-pve, the bnx2x module upgrades to version 1.52.15 and the disable_tpa param doesn't exists anymore :-/
so, still searching for a solution...

I found the following:

IP Forwarding (bridging) cannot be used with TPA on kernels older than
2.6.26. Please disable TPA with either ethtool (if available) or driver
parameter
So maybe it is not problem at all for newer kernels?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!