Network isolating virtual machines for testing?

WSDJamie

Nov 23, 2022
I have an application server and a database server in production on physical machines.

I’m planning on doing to P2V and getting them moved over to Proxmox. But I need to do a lot of testing between the virtual application server and virtual database server before we put this into production.

I would like to not change anything about the virtual servers as far as IP addressing goes.

So I’m trying to figure out, is there a way to spin up these VMs, leave their IP addresses as is and do some testing between the two while somehow not being on the production network thus conflicting with the physical servers IP addresses?

Maybe assign the Proxmox nics to a vlan that is isolated from all other vlans? I’d love to hear any thoughts on how to do this.

Maybe assign the Proxmox nics to a vlan that is isolated from all other vlans?
Yes, that will work, however you may run into a problem with the same MACs if you clone them 1:1and they run on the same bridge. I tried this years ago an run into "duplicate mac" issue.

Reactions: WSDJamie
There is also the "Disconnect" option for the virtual NICs. Edit the networkdevice(s) of your test VM, enable "Advanced" and put a checkmark at "Disconnect".

This is the same as "unplugging" this NIC from your Proxmox Bridge. You can disconnect and re-connect your VM while it is running.

There is also the "Disconnect" option for the virtual NICs. Edit the networkdevice(s) of your test VM, enable "Advanced" and put a checkmark at "Disconnect".

This is the same as "unplugging" this NIC from your Proxmox Bridge. You can disconnect and re-connect your VM while it is running.
I need to test the functionality between the app server and the database server. I think hitting the disconnect button basically disconnects the nic from the VM, so if I did that, the two VMs wouldn't be able to talk to each other unfortunately.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!