[SOLVED] Network interface died, plugged in a new one. How to access UI now?

proxcub

Jan 8, 2019
So my network interface died. Kaput. I plugged in a spare one I had floating around but I've never messed with network devices in CLI before. Is there a way I can edit /etc/network/interfaces to tell Proxmox to ignore the dead NIC and listen to the new one I plugged in? Or is there another way to do this?

hi,

Is there a way I can edit /etc/network/interfaces to tell Proxmox to ignore the dead NIC and listen to the new one I plugged in?

what you need to do basically is to switch the name of the old NIC with the new one in the interfaces file and keep the same config.

hi,

what you need to do basically is to switch the name of the old NIC with the new one in the interfaces file and keep the same config.

apologies, i should've mentioned i'm not entirely too familar with CLI -- the googling I did led me to believe it was something in /etc/network/interfaces that i needed to edit, but i'm not sure how i find/discover the details of the spare NIC i put in, in order to address it to switch it

okay.

can you post:

* the output of ip link show

* cat /etc/network/interfaces

Reactions: proxcub
ah! as soon as i saw the output of ip link show, I realised what I needed to do with /etc/network/interfaces

thank you :)

glad to be of help!

please mark the thread as [SOLVED] so others know what to expect

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!