[SOLVED] Network drops on boot

hockpunk426

Feb 12, 2020
I had Proxmox up and running and everything was working fine. I ran an update and everything was still working great. I shut down the computer to remove my raid card to connect the hard drives directly to the mobo. After I booted up I noticed that I wasn't showing any activity light on the ethernet jack after boot.

If I boot into the bios the ethernet jack goes active and I can ping the IP. However, after Proxmox VE loads, the port goes dark again and I can't hit the IP anymore.

On load it displays the normal screen with the IP address and everything but I don't see it on the network and the port on the computer is dark. I have tried other ports on the switch and other cables as well to cover my bases before I posted here.

I am running 6.1-3/37248ce6
kernal 5.3.10-1-pve

I am new to proxmox. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like removing the RAID card changed the order on the PCI bus and thus the name of the NIC.

Try to run ip a on the CLI which should list all NICs available and their IP addresses if configured.

It's possible that you will have to replace all occurrences of the old name in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Reactions: J0hn_ion and KyleK
Keep the vmbr0, that is the first bridge. It is using the physical NIC as bridge_ports.

As an example:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp4s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  192.168.x.y
    netmask  255.255.240.0
    gateway  192.168.x.1
    bridge-ports enp4s0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

Notice how I have the enp4s0 interface configured and set in bridge_ports.

Do you have your enp5s0 configured in these places? If my assumption about the renamed interface is correct, you should have some other name.
Change that to enp5s0 and reboot the machine.

But ip a only shows an enp5s0 and no enp6s0 right?

Try replacing the enp6s0 in your config with enp5s0 and reboot.

Reactions: matrix
Thank you for your effort in advising us on this problem, I had it to and have resolved it

kind regards

Thank you for this, very quick fix that got me back online quickly! I struggled through a couple of reboots until I realized I needed to change the name on the top line AND the bridge-ports line.

I added a new PCIe card for NVMe SSD storage and had the same issue. This post helped a lot!
For me it was possible to revert the changes by removing the card and change BIOS setting back the ones before installing the card. With this I was able to reach my pve again through the web interface and (temporarily) change my root password to an easier one to be actually able to enter it during physical access to the server. Then I did the hardware and BIOS changes again and applied the above mentioned changes to the interfaces config.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!