[SOLVED] Network down on reboot because of Failed to start Wait for udev To Complete Device Initialization

Rares

Feb 28, 2017
Long story short, I updated to the latest kernel and after reboot the server took a long time to boot and the network was down.

In the logs I had the message:
Bash:
sr0: Worker [1402] processing SEQNUM=7997 is taking a long time
ifupdown2-pre.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
ifupdown2-pre.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Failed to start Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown.
Dependency failed for Network initialization.
networking.service: Job networking.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

So basically the whole server crashed because of a misbehaving CD-ROM on /dev/sr0.

The good pars was that after several minutes I got the login prompt, manged to login, and after issuing
Bash:
systemctl restart networking
the network was up and the server worked as expected.

BTW, if you want to silence the flooding error messages that take over your console just type:
Bash:
sudo dmesg -n 1

After testing with a lot of options, including downgrading the kernel and linux-firmware package, I discovered that on the server it was mounted an ISO image via IPMI Virtual CD-Rom interface, from an address that was no longer available. After un-mouting the ISO all returned to normal. The new kernel had nothing to do with the problem, it upgrade only coincided with the server reboot.

All this happened on a Supermicro SYS-1029U-TN10RT server.

I am posting this in case somebody else goes through something similar and to kindly ask for the network service not to wait for deprecated systemd-udev-settle.service .

Best regards,
Rares

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!