Network Adapter showing as unclaimed

nyctomanica

Dec 13, 2017
Hello all,

I have two Proxmox servers in my homelab, which I have recently installed Chelsio T320 dual-port 10G network adapters in.

The first of these servers works fine with the card, showing both ports as UP when I run 'ip link show', with both links working mostly as expected.
However, it is the second server which is causing me issues.

The card does not show at all under 'ip link show', and when I run 'lshw -C network', the card shows '*-network UNCLAIMED' above its description.

Both servers are on the same Proxmox VE version, installed on the same day from the same USB.
They are both fully up to date, from the no-subscription repos.

I have also tried swapping the cards in the servers, and running 'modprobe -r cxgb3', then 'modprobe cxgb3' to reinstall the drivers, as well as reinstalling Proxmox on the second server.
None of these worked to fix the issue

The hardware in the systems is as follows:
First server (aspen): AMD Athlon 5350, Asus AM1I-A, 16GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, Chelsio T320
Second server (callie): Intel i5-3570, Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3, 16GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, Chelsio T320

Thanks for your help!
Ellie

First do you see the link led "on" on this card ? This should work wheter the driver for this card is loaded or not.

If yes, try to see if the kernel did associated a driver with the device with the command:

lspci -k | sed -n '/Ethernet/,/Kernel modules/p'

This is an example output on my system
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e

Reactions: nyctomanica
Hi again,

Thanks for your fast response :)
The link LED does light when I plug in a network cable, so I ran the command you gave, and here is the result (from callie):

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Chelsio Communications Inc T320 10GbE Dual Port Adapter
Subsystem: Chelsio Communications Inc T320 10GbE Dual Port Adapter
Kernel modules: cxgb3
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Onboard Ethernet
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169

This seems to suggest that there is no driver installed for this card on this system, as there is no 'driver' line for the Chelsio card.
However, on the working server (aspen), the command returns this:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Chelsio Communications Inc T320 10GbE Dual Port Adapter
Subsystem: Chelsio Communications Inc T320 10GbE Dual Port Adapter
Kernel driver in use: cxgb3
Kernel modules: cxgb3
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169

This shows that a driver is loaded here, which is strange, as both systems are configured identically.

Thanks again for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!