Nested virtualization suddenly doesnt work

Thank you for your replies :). I am allowed to enter the vm when chaning CPU type to anything other than host, however this results in docker not being able to run. Since i guess nested virtualization only works through host?

If you mean grep -R "" /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters, then i believe so yes

Code:
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/enlightened_vmcs:N
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/eptad:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/flexpriority:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/vmentry_l1d_flush:cond
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ple_window_shrink:0
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ept:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ple_gap:128
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/emulate_invalid_guest_state:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/pml:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/enable_apicv:N
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/enable_shadow_vmcs:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ple_window_max:4294967295
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ple_window:4096
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/pt_mode:0
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/vnmi:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/vpid:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/preemption_timer:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ple_window_grow:2
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/dump_invalid_vmcs:N
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/fasteoi:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/unrestricted_guest:Y
/sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested_early_check:N

I am not sure if the module configuration si comming from the kernel command line or from explicit module config in /etc/modprobe/...
Here are my kernel parameters (systemd-boot)
Code:
cat /etc/kernel/cmdline
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on intel_iommu=pt mitigations=off kvm-intel.vmentry_l1d_flush=never kvm-intel.nested=1

I was experiencing the same error "kvm: error: failed to set MSR 0x48b to 0x137bff00000000" with the latest 6.2 kernel and using "host" cpu. Setting the CPU to SkyLake-Server allowed me to boot the machines. After reading the thread I narrowed down the problem to flag "-pcid".
I also have "mitigations=off" in my kernel command line so I am not sure if this has any connection. Setting pcid to default allows me to boot with cpu "host" again.
Do you mind if I ask a side question here? Is there documentation on the difference between selection Skylake-Client or Skylake-Server? When I built my VM back in 2017, I think there was only an option for Skylake-Client. And when I attempt to switch it to Skylake-Server, the VM won't start and I can't figure out why not.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!