Nested virtualization slow with cpu type host

paradox55

May 31, 2019
When using host as the CPU type nested virtualization (hyper-v) is slow. But when the CPU is set to kvm64 everything is smooth as butter.

Anyone have any idea? This is with the 3900x.

With kvm64 you do not get nested virtualization at all... Could you explain your setup a bit more, what are your L0, L1 and L2 guests and post all relevant VM configs? ('qm config <vmid>')

Are you sure? I'm running windows with hyper-v enabled. When hyper-v is enabled the host os also runs on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, just as guest operating systems do.

Code:
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0
cores: 4
efidisk0: Medium1:vm-101-disk-1,size=4M
hostpci0: 0000:09:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 0000:0b:00.4
machine: pc-q35-6.0
memory: 24000
name: Windows
net0: e1000=9A:D5:34snip:F3,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,queues=2
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
sata0: sdc1:vm-101-disk-0,backup=0,cache=writethrough,discard=on,size=100G
sata1: /dev/sda
sata2: /dev/sdd
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=6snipac0b3
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
usb1: host=1-2,usb3=1
usb2: host=7-2.2,usb3=1
usb3: host=7-2.3,usb3=1
usb4: host=7-1
vga: none
vmgenid: 4707f4snip027d

Are you sure? I'm running windows with hyper-v enabled. When hyper-v is enabled the host os also runs on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, just as guest operating systems do.
And I believe exactly there lies the issue. When enabling CPU type 'host', the L1 main OS runs virtualized, because it finds the necessary CPU extensions and you have Hyper-V enabled. This of course reduces performance, since nested virt always has an extra overhead. When you then switch to kvm64, it doesn't make nested virt faster, it instead disables it entirely, which causes the L1 OS to realize it can't enable Hyper-V and runs non-virtualized and thus faster.

Try starting an actual Hyper-V VM on a nested setup with the CPU type set to kvm64.

And I believe exactly there lies the issue. When enabling CPU type 'host', the L1 main OS runs virtualized, because it finds the necessary CPU extensions and you have Hyper-V enabled. This of course reduces performance, since nested virt always has an extra overhead. When you then switch to kvm64, it doesn't make nested virt faster, it instead disables it entirely, which causes the L1 OS to realize it can't enable Hyper-V and runs non-virtualized and thus faster.

Try starting an actual Hyper-V VM on a nested setup with the CPU type set to kvm64.

You're right. Any idea why it would bog down the OS with host/nested running? I don't mean like less performance. It takes a minute to load windows and any game runs at ~15 FPS compared to 140+ with the kvm cpu selected.

I have another install running without proxmox and do not have that issue on it.

Nested virt with Hyper-V on AMD is very experimental, Microsoft didn't support it at all until recently. I'd pose it up to that, without much deeper investigation this is hard to say. There are some guides out there to improve nested perf, but YMMV greatly with those.

Anyway, if you want to use 'host' for the performance benefit, you can disable nesting in general by creating a file /etc/modprobe.d/kvm_amd.conf with options kvm-amd nested=N in it, then regen your initramfs with update-initramfs -u and reboot.

FYI, I want to report that a year later, nested virt on AMD is still extremely slow — like 10x slower than host performance. This is the experience with Azure v5 AMD instances, which according to their spec, *do* support nested virtalization. After switching to Intel, the observed performance drop in L2 VM is only around ~10%.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!