Nested inside esxi and 32bit containers?

ptmuldoon

Apr 28, 2012
I'm pretty new at ProxMox and am considering a move away from esxi, thus I am trying to test out ProxMox best I can before making a full switch.

So in trying to get started, I installed ProxMox as a VM inside esxi which I've come to learn in considered nesting VMs.

I got ProxMox installed and then installed a Container running Ubuntu 18. But I can't get that Ubuntu Container to find an IP address and connect to my Lan.

One thing I was reading is that I think to run nested VM's that I think I can only run 32bit machines in a nested setup?

So i'm not sure if I should try and install a 32bit container (which I can't find) or how I set up the nested container to get an IP address.

Can anyone help a newbie out?

Thanks,
PT

Hi PT

You can run nested 64 bit machines in ESXi.

The guide in link below would be exactly the same for running ProxMox nested.

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/deploying-nested-esxi-is-easier-than-ever-before/
https://www.altaro.com/vmware/how-to-set-up-a-nested-vsphere-6-environment-part-1/

the reason you may not be getting networking to work is covered in the guide.

You’ll also may need to expose Hardware Assisted Virtualization to the VM too.

The guides will take you through and simply replace ProxMox iSO with ESXi iSO same same.

“”Cheers
G

Thanks for the links and I was able to now get nested VM to connect to the web.

If it helps anyone else, the piece I was missing was enabling 'promiscuous' mode in my esxi setup. And I could find how to enable that via vcenter.

I am new at using containers, but they seem much more easier to setup vs a full VM for some of my needs. My next steps is to see if if I can convert Windows VM running in esxi over to Proxmox.

Thanks again for the great help and support.
PT

Reactions: velocity08

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!