Need to reduce LVM size.

Hellman_x

Oct 3, 2023
I need help reducing the size of the LVM. It should only need to be about 20GB or less.

I'll allocate the rest the rest of the disk space for LVM-Thin.

You could reduce the LVM size, but it can cost datacorruption and should only be done with a lot of care.
But you can also just create a LVM-Thin pool in your current LVM partition[1], or is there a reason why you prefer creating a new LVM partition with LVM-Thin pool ?

[1]https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(LVM) ("Create a LVM-Thin pool")

You could reduce the LVM size, but it can cost datacorruption and should only be done with a lot of care.
But you can also just create a LVM-Thin pool in your current LVM partition[1], or is there a reason why you prefer creating a new LVM partition with LVM-Thin pool ?

[1]https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(LVM) ("Create a LVM-Thin pool")
I think I tried putting everything in the LVM, but it could only be formatted to be 100GB large. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Can you describe your setup a bit more detailled ?

Just a HPE DL360 with 4 drives. Adds up to about 460GB. yeah, I know it's not much but it's just for hosting games.

Proxmox is formatted in xfs. LVM is currently taking up about 108GB of my storage space.

And you would like all of your diskspace to be LVM-Thin partitioned, or what is your final goal ?

Yeah, pretty much.

Just like the description says; I just want to be able to shrink the LVM to about 20GB and the LVM-Thin can take up the rest of the space.

Or as you suggested, just put everything on the LVM and have it take up the whole disk if it's possible.

I cannot really see any advantage of reducing the existing LVM, but then creating another LVM with LVM thin pool for the rest of the space.
If there is some advantage please let me know !

I would recommend extending your LVM partition to use the full 460 GB and then create a LVM-Thin pool for the full size.
You can follow the instructions in this article. For further questions and need for help, just ask :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!