Need help with vmware migration

Laurent COOPER

Jun 20, 2017
Hello.

I've installed a proxmox 6.0 pve in our infrastructure to get rid of our VmWare Vsphere servers
Now, I'm trying to migrate from vmware to proxmox the old computers we had

I should be not so far but it doesn't work, and I don't know why

Here are the parts I did so far :
  1. transfered via NFS the disk-flat.vmdk and disk.vmdk to a directory in proxmox
  2. converted the disk-flat.vmdk to disk.raw via qemu-img (qemu-img convert -O raw)
  3. We use ZFS. I created a machine that uses ZFS pool and created a same size disk
  4. did a dd to transfer raw disk to zfs pool :
    dd if=disk.raw of=/dev/zvol/zfs-datas/vm-100-disk-0 bs=1M
  5. Houra ! the disk is copied. I can see /dev/zvol/zfs-datas/vm-100-disk-0-part1, I can mount it, and look at the files.
  6. I can look at the partition with fdisk /dev/zvol/zfs-datas/vm-100-disk-0. The first partition is bootable
Bash:
Disk /dev/zvol/zfs-datas/vm-100-disk-0: 160 GiB, 171798691840 bytes, 335544320 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 8192 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 8192 bytes / 8192 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xa80c0f85

Device                              Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/zvol/zfs-datas/vm-100-disk-0p1 *     2048 335544319 335542272  160G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

But when I try to boot, it repeatidly says to me "no bootable device found"

I tried to add a directory storage and use the vmdk and flat-vmdk with vmware storage disk type. Same thing : no bootable device

I don't know how to do ...

TIA for your answers

Instead of manually converting the image and injecting it with dd, I'd recommend using qm importdisk (see man qm) which will do nearly everything required

Reactions: spirit

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!