Need help with TRUENAS in Proxmox

nokis

Sep 25, 2024
Hello,

Today I have installed Proxmox on my old PC that is no longer being used, I was watching a tutorial about how to install TRUENAS in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sfddZHhOj4 and at 18:00 minute timestamp in that video ran to a problem.

I have enabled the IOMMU in the console and it shows that it is enabled, but also shows errors, but when I go to add hardware for the VM, I get a message saying "no IOMMU detected, please activate it", so I can not use the VM.

I searched through the internet and saw other people saying that you might need to enable it in your BIOS, so I went to my BIOS and only found 2 settings that match what I managed to find on Google, "Intel Virtualization Technology" which was already enabled and "VT-D" which was disabled, I enabled it, but have the same issue after booting and saving. Can not find anything that says VT-X or IOMMU anywhere. ( Was relating to this guide, because my motherboard is pretty old and all the terms on Google do not match- https://us.informatiweb.net/tutorials/it/bios/enable-iommu-or-vt-d-in-your-bios.html )

Not sure if it is even possible to activate the IOMMU on my hardware, since I have 0 experience as it is my first day installing PROXMOX.

My specs are:

CPU - Intel® Core™ i3-2100 ( Checked it supports VT-D, but not VT-X, maybe this is the issue? )
Motherboard- ASRock H61M

Maybe anyone had a similar experience and could point me towards the right direction?

Best regards,

1727229442453.png1727229284603.png

Also the H61 Chipset doesn't support vt-d according to Intel Ark. However the web says that there are some mainboard manufacturers that enable it on boards with H61 by using additional chips.

The product's website at Asrock doesnt give any hint on vt-d or vt-x, so I would not be surprised if the mainboard doesnt support it.

Reactions: IsThisThingOn
Hey, thanks for the quick reply, I guess the hardware does not support it, did not really find any other suggestions anywhere.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!