Need help with passthrough into OMV VM

Gishan

Oct 24, 2020
Hi, I'm currently evaluating wether Proxmox will suit my needs and is manageable for a Linux noob like me.

My setup looks like this:
  • PVE installed on 2 SSDs (ZFS mirror)
  • 4x 4TB HDDs (over LSI SAS controller)
  • 1x 1TB NVME
  • 2x 512GB SSDs
  • 128GB RAM
After a lot of research the last week I've found a solution I want to go with:
  • Storage will be on ZFS (pool=HDDs, L2ARC=NVME, LOG=mirrored 512GB SSDs)
  • But storage should run inside a VM with the latest OpenMediaVault 5
  • Don't want to sound cocky, but please don't question that decision - it's been a long week of back&forth and that's my final plan
Everything is set up so far, VM is running. The only thing I'm struggling with is passthrough of the NVME and the SSDs. (can't test with HDDs atm as the SAS controller arrives next week)

I tried using "qm set" commands with the proper disk ids. Although the devices show up inside the VM, they all are missing their proper names, model, manufacturer and so on. When I try to create a zpool using OMV's GUI I can't select any drives - so it seems passthrough is not working correctly.

This is most likely not enough info for you to help me out. Please just let me know what further details I can provide and I'll post them tomorrow (I'm done for today)

Or maybe there is anything I could check right away?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, in the mean time I got passthrough working.
Now I still have a problem within OMV but thats not for this forum.

In case anyone runs into the same problem:
  • make sure virtualization is actually enabled
  • some devices are pending for passthrough after you add them to the vm
    • you have to reboot the host
    • after that they are only visible to the VM

Hi Gishan, i'm trying to migrate my actual setup:

- OMV running on PVE
- the data disks are a ZFS pool (on a LSI SAS controller like yours) with a VMdisk on top, attached to OMV and subsequently formatted with ext4

to:

- OMV running on PVE (same)
- the data disks are a ZFS pool inside OMV (using the PVE kernel and the necessary ZFS plugin)

In doing so i hope to lower the overhead inducted by using a VMdisk plus the ext4 filesystem.

If i've understood correctly, you are using a similar approach (ZFS on OMV).

Could you please share some info on how you have made the PT for the 4x 4TB HDDs (over LSI SAS controller)?

Thanks in advance

Ok, in the mean time I got passthrough working.
Now I still have a problem within OMV but thats not for this forum.

In case anyone runs into the same problem:
  • make sure virtualization is actually enabled
  • some devices are pending for passthrough after you add them to the vm
    • you have to reboot the host
    • after that they are only visible to the VM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!